Read and rate Travel Journal Entries for Goodland, Florida, United States

Mar 28, 2016 - Plans changed--stayed at Cayo Costa for two days because of weather

We stayed at Cayo Costa for an extra day because the forecast changed to one with more wind and bigger waves. Today, we moved on to Marco Island and are once again anchored in Smokehouse Bay. Tomorrow we will make a trip to West Marine for a pump we need and both of us will try to get hair cuts. Hopefully, on Wednesday we will head south again to the Everglades for a night and then back to the Florida Keys on the next day. Brother Ted had surgery on his trachea (to remove scar tissue from previous surgeries and intubations). That led to...

Jump to full entry

Mar 2, 2016 - Southerly and J&B have been in the Gulf of Mexico and are now in Marco Island

Quite a lot has happened since the last posting. We had planned to head down the keys on February 27th. However, one of the big problems with finding an anchorage as you travel down the keys is if the wind is from the east. On the 27th, finding a protected anchorage was going to be a problem. So we postponed the start of the trip south for another day. On the morning of the 28th, we (Southerly and J&B) upped anchors, headed out of the Hurricane Hole, motored past No Name Harbor and Cape Florida to the channel that takes you to the Hawk...

Jump to full entry