Read and rate Travel Journal Entries for Imabari, Japan

Nov 24, 2005 - 1 050km down !!

Spent Thursday evening half way between 53 and 54 (a long trek) and was a kilometre from 55 juggling a 22kg backpack across a busy intersection and trying to answer his phone when I called. Very chuffed to have broken the 1 000km mark (mind boggling). Has lost one of his fleece gloves - but has found a local alterantive cheap white glove (cost about R10) that all the locals seem to use and discard as soon as it gets dirty. Family of the family he stayed with on Wednesday should meet Bob tomorrow at Temple 59 - so all going according to plan...

Jump to full entry

Trip Journal

Henro on the trail

Aug 12, 2004 - Karaoke Birthday Party

To continue my birthday celebrations, the Fukuyama Nova teachers decided to go to Wara Wara, a wonderful karaoke bar. Ikuyo, my Japanese tutor, came with friends and joined the party. Ikue is another friend of ours, too. We had a blast, singing our hearts out until 3 a. m. Karaoke is one of the greatest, most fun Japanese inventions! Whenever I hear "Go West" by the Pet Shop Boys, I am instantly brought back to that wild and crazy night. Great memories! I'll let the photos speak for themselves...

Jump to full entry

Jul 30, 2004 - Yassa Festival in Mihara

At the end of July we witnessed our first major Japanese festival: the Yassa. The Yassa is a dance traditionally performed in large groups, through the streets of its honourary city, Mihara. You'll remember that my main Nova branch office is Mihara, and it's about 40 minutes west of Fukuyama (my other Nova branch office) by local train. No one seems to know how long Mihara has been hosting this spectacular event, but let's just say that it has been going on for so many years that it has become the stuff of legend. People from the area band...

Jump to full entry

Apr 14, 2004 - Touching Down and Settling in Fukuyama

Well, it has now been six months since we arrived in Japan, on April 14th, 2004. The plane rides from Toronto, totalled 15 hours in the air, then with the waiting times in several airports and then the 2-hour introduction to the shinkansen (bullet train), we finally arrived at our new home after a day and a half... and on about 45 minutes of sleep! Our main luggage didn't arrive for three days, and at first we couldn't figure out how to use washing machine or activate the gas in our apartment - nothing but cold showers and the same outfit...

Jump to full entry