Olympic Peninsula & North Pacific Coast 2019 travel blog

Looks like the sign should be NO SHOULDER

Cars and clouds as we head south

And more cars

Our site in Munds Park RV Resort


Munds Park AZ


Day 52: Saturday July 6, 2019

July 4th was our last day in Cedar Breaks and we start our two month stay in Munds Park on July 6th.

We had to decide what to do about the night of July 5th. We’d planned to overnight in Cameron AZ (as we did on the way north); however, after considering the prospects of arriving and finding all sites occupied made that a risky choice—Cameron is at the east entry to the Grand Canyon—a situation that Brian did not take into account as he developed our summer plan.

On the other hand we did not relish the prospect of staying an extra night in Cedar City then driving 314 miles to Munds Park in one day.

We reserved a site for the night of July 5th in Willowwind RV Park in Hurricane UT (we stayed there on the way north too). Willowwind is 45 miles from Cedar City which leaves 269 miles to get to Munds Park—which is reasonable.

July 5th we left Cedar City at 10:50 am and checked in at Willowwind at noon. The temperature in Hurricane was 93 degrees. Fortunately we had shade trees and our site had a concrete pad so we didn’t have to unhook to level. The trailer was still cool inside and we were able to keep it that way using both air conditioners.

We pulled out of Willowwind at 8:10 am on July 6th (we gain an hour at the Arizona border). It was 93 degrees at Cameron on the way south. We arrived at Munds Park at 1:00 pm and checked into our site. The temperature was 82 degrees.

We were pleasantly surprised when we turned on the DirecTV to find that we had adequate signal strength from our roof mounted dish—it was problematic last year using a dish setup by hand on the ground—signal partially blocked by trees.

We’ll leave Munds Park on September 7th and return to Mesa. But we won’t be there long—we’re scheduled to join a caravan of RVs at the border of North Dakota and Manitoba on Oct 2nd. The Caravan heads north to Thompson Manitoba where we’ll leave the rigs and travel by air or rail to Churchill Manitoba. Churchill is located on the shore of Hudson Bay and is the site where many polar bears stay until the ice freezes.

We’ll be in Churchill three days; then return to Thompson by rail or air (the opposite mode of our inbound trip). From Thompson we’ll travel to Winnipeg where the caravan will disband on October 16th and we’ll return home on our own.

When Brian was planning a route for our return it was determined by the availability of RV Parks that are still open: many close in early October with the 15th a common date.

We’ll keep another journal of that trip.

Entry Rating:     Why ratings?
Please Rate:  
Thank you for voting!
Share |