Judy, Sarah and Riley's Italy trip 2018 travel blog

Big ship in the canal.. they are trying to stop them coming...

The beautiful Dolomites

The cable car

On top of the mountain

Lunch on top of the mountain

Nana fixing Riley's case

Riley fixing the case - we did it. Hooray

Chiara recommended that we visit the Dolomites if we had lime while we're away. Today's the day. We had to be up reasonably early so we could walk to meet our driver at Piazzale Roma at 8:30. Surprise, surprise, Riley had left over pasta for breakfast before we got under way. Sarah once again took the tour leader role and made sure we arrived at the meeting point with plenty of time. It's another sunny day however we all dressed in layers as we were told it would be cool up in the mountains. We met our fellow travellers, 2 Australians and one American and off we went.

The first part of the drive wasn't too exciting as it was getting off the islands and through Venice Mestre and the suburban areas. We ten moved into beautiful countryside and started to climb up into the mountains.

The scenery was magnificent. The mountains beautiful, some lush and green, others rocky, dry and desolate. We had one stop for a photo opportunity before arriving in Cortina, the town in which the 1956 Winter Olympics were held. We had a nice walk around town and checked out a few shops. Didn't buy anything though.

Then, on to the mountain where the cable car runs. We decided to forgo the major lake on the usual tour so we could ride the cable car and have lunch at the top. I'm not sure of the name of the place we went to however it was close to the Austrian border. We had a very quick trip up and had lunch on the terrace of the restaurant at the top. The views are spectacular. I love the interesting geology too. After lunch we walked to the top of the area near us, pretty close to Austria. It was exhilarating and I was pretty happy with myself for putting my trepidation about heights aside to enjoy he experience.

We were expecting the ride down to be as quick as the one up however it seemed more sedate.

Then off to another lakeside village for a photo stop and as it turned out, the cafe the kids and I went to for a bathroom break, had strawberry gelato suitable for Riley. Three cheers again. Sarah and I had one too...can't let him have all the fun.

Back to the minivan and the 2 hour trip home. We had a wonderful experience and would recommend it to others. I'd love too see the area in the winter when the snow is around.

We walked home via the Rialto Bridge and the Doges Palace. Riley wanted to see if he could be saved from execution by completing the manoeuvre our guid told us about yesterday. Sadly, he kept falling off, so off to the gallows with Riley.

We set off for home and a scratch dinner as no one was very hungry. My major task of the evening was Step 2 of the suitcase repair. I watched a few YouTUbe videos and set to pulling it apart. After much muttering and mumbling, I still could loosen the broken handle. It seemed to be jammed down into its casing. Riley came to be my right hand man and worked out that there was a knob stopping it going down. After much more metering and mumbling, we sorted it out. Yay! Suitcase fixed. Between Mel's and my bike tube repairs and Riley's and my suitcase repairs, we are pretty handy. I was getting so annoyed as I didn't want the case to beat me so was very happy when it was sorted. After the case marathon, we had a nice relaxing evening and went to bed reasonable early. We are off to Naples tomorrow so need to pack our bits and pieces and be ready to vacate at 10:00am.

Entry Rating:     Why ratings?
Please Rate:  
Thank you for voting!
Share |