Our voyage to Vietnam travel blog

Aspara at the Raffles Hotel in Sien Reap

Railing detail

Pool at our Homestay

Buddhist Temple near our place

Well, we made it to Siem Reap, Cambodia about 7 pm last night. When I saw the small prop plane that was to take us from Da Nang to Siem Reap, it did give me pause. I suspect that Lee, my brother in law, would not approve of the transport situation... However, we arrived safe and sound after a rather bumpy and jumpy landing. The weather was warm and muggy; 90s in temperature and 90s in humidity. The air feels thick and heavy, as if you need to push your way through it. Unfortunately, the city of Siem Reap was in the midst of a blackout... Which means no air conditioning at our hotel; which made for a rather sweaty and uncomfortable night. At about 6 am the power came back on, so all is now well. Today we checked out the Angkor National Museum, which was both interesting and well laid out. I think will be a benefit for me when we head out there tomorrow. It discusses the history of the ruins and explained how they dated the stone sculptures. On out way back to the hotel we stopped at the Raffles Hotel, which always reminds me of Dave Golay, who was a big Raffles fan. We pretended to be civilized and sipped cocktails with the posh crowd. Barbara G

We arrived from Da Nang to Siem Reap Cambodia at 7pm. The city was in blackout with the only lights coming from large hotels and the hospital that we passed. It’s been 8 years since I last landed here and what a change. Large, resort hotels line the thoroughfare into the city with tourist buses parked in their large parking lots. Tuk tuks are still a mode of transportation and how we motored from the airport to the guesthouse. It is a motorcycles pulling a two seat cart. Everyone wants to be paid in dollars rather than the local riel which is 4000r to 1$.

The guesthouse is the same one that we stayed in 8 years ago. A swimming pool and another wing has been added along with an outdoor dining area. The rooms are clean and air-conditioned. Last night was miserable, no electricity until about 6am this morning when we cranked up the air con.

After a nice, outdoor breakfast of fruit, noodles and coffee/tea we trekked to the National Museum which has a very nice overview of the history and culture of Angkor Wat. Three hours in the museum and we walked in the oppressive heat to the Raffles Hotel for a very blue drink, called an Aspera. After watching the comings and goings in the hotel lobby we set out for our guesthouse. Low key day but we will make up for it tomorrow touring a portion of Angkor, probably one of three days that we will spend there. We may go to a night market when it cools down.


Off to dinner

Entry Rating:     Why ratings?
Please Rate:  
Thank you for voting!
Share |