Bareboat Sailing - St. Martin travel blog

Anguilla is one of the Caribbean's "Renaissance Islands", reinventing its economy

Our sailing course from Grand Case to Anguilla's Road Bay

Anguilla depends on healthy reefs to protect its shoreline from erosion

Highest elevation of coral-formed Anguilla is Crocus Hill at 213 feet

Sailing around Anguillita with volcanically-formed St. Martin on the horizon

Anguilla's Road Bay anchorage is calm and free

First Stop - Road Bay Customs Office (British)

Anguilla vehicle licence

The beach at Road Bay

Thursday, January 15th -- Grand Case (St. Martin) to Road Bay (Anguilla)

Some time during the night the wind died down so by morning the boat was hardly rocking at all. Surprisingly I was one of the first ones awake this morning at about 6:30. Hubby and I had almost finished cutting up the eggs and potatoes (leftover from dinner last night) for the potato salad lunch by the time everyone else started organizing their individual breakfasts. We were getting better at remembering where the various foods were stored in the galley! Hubby had the coffee percolating well before we needed the second burner for tea water and scrambled eggs.

We lifted the anchor just after 9:00 and motored out of the bay a safe distance before raising the mainsail and unfurling the jib. Our first real sailing day! The wind was brisk but not raging. The swells were not breaking over the bow but we were moving at a good pace. Somewhere on the sail to Anguilla we had two dolphins along our port side for just a few moments before they lost interest in us. We only had to jibe twice to reach the lee side of Anguilla. After avoiding a buoyed hazard and before reaching Sandy Island we pulled down the sails and motored the rest of the way into Road Bay. Heated soup and potato salad were on the table almost as soon as the anchor was set -- just before noon.

With lunch cleaned up we gathered all the passports for the captain to dinghy ashore to the Customs Office. The two other men and I also rode the dinghy, me only to drop off our garbage. The Customs Office opened soon after we arrived but we only had one copy of the crew list and they wanted four, so the captain had to manually fill in the sheet again using carbon paper to produce two of the copies. (For those of you too young to remember carbon paper, check ancient office supply history on the Internet.) Because we hadn't brought our own pen the captain had to wait for another group to complete their list. Customs was also the place to buy Marine Park passes, one for each day at $11.00/person. While the captain and hubby took care of the paperwork I chatted with a taxi driver on the porch. We saw a King bird and a hummingbird while we chatted. On the way back to the boat we saw Brown Boobies diving for fish and fish jumping out of the water. There was also a turtle. Without too much delay I had my snorkel gear on and was in the water. It was better visibility than at the beach last week but not crystal clear. We spotted a few red starfish on the sandy bottom, some small blue fish under the boat and a brown striped fish, the kind that likes to lie on the bottom. We couldn't see the turtle.

Refreshed, it was time to get the roast beef in the oven. Hubby helped. The other four went ashore for free showers and ice. Dinner (roast beef, grilled veggies, rice and romaine lettuce) was ready to eat after two hours in the oven, at about 19:00. Better than yesterday but still too late for our liking. The music from the beach bars is much louder than last night. It probably won't bother us. We are all quite tired from sun, wind and water today.

Entry Rating:     Why ratings?
Please Rate:  
Thank you for voting!
Share |