Larry & Maureen's Travel Adventures travel blog

The railway bridge to Arizona at Parker

Site 42, Havasu Falls RV Resort

Fountain at the London Bridge

London Bridge


The waterway to the London Bridge - some very big boats!

One of many tour boats in the harbour

Dinner with Doug, Lynda and Barley

The Kiwanis Fruit Cakes that our friend Jackie FedEx'ed down to us...

The drive to Las Vegas - the last of Arizona just before...

It's like a mini-Grand Canyon

A glimpse of the Colorado River

The Hoover Dam with part of Lake Mead behind it - very...

The air was a tan colour coming into Vegas - there had...

Site 107 at Las Vegas RV Resort

This is the last of the obvious part of the Imperial Palace

This is our room at the Palazzo



There's even a printer!

The view from our room


Lunch at Grimaldi's Pizzeria - these are the singers from St. Mark's...

Gondoliers on the Grand Canal

They sing beautifully!

Palazzo lobby

Larry at the TravelOnly event

The whole group at the TravelOnly event

This is the moon through our slightly dirty window!

Site 68 at Golden Shore RV Resort

Shorebirds on the Golden Shore Marsh


Morning Glories

Bike Path - Maureen walked a ways on it

Then back the other way to look back at the RV Resort

Lots of loons

The Catalina Express boat dock

Debris boom

Debris boom

Pop-Up Picnic - England Fish and Chips - wonderful!

The Port of Los Angeles is huge

Ships and containers

Bridges going over


USS Iowa


This is where our cruise ship will land - Pier 93


Wyland Whale Wall, Long Beach

Queen Mary and the Carnival Inspiration

Marina, Long Beach

USS Victory Lane

Poinsettia in full bloom

The Estates at Trump National Golf Course - $285 a round

Climbing the mountain - golf view

One of the estates with Catalina Island in the background

The port from above

Hello Liquor!

It was windy all night at Morongo. The parking lot really filled up during the evening. We filled up with fuel at $3.47/gallon. We left I-10 on the 26th and went up Hwy 177 to Hwy 62, over to Parker and up Hwy 95 to Lake Havasu City. We arrived just after 1:00 (2:00 AZ time). We've stayed at Havasu Falls RV before and know it will be a great place to have Thanksgiving dinner. The weather is lovely. We went out and found our friends Doug and Linda from White Rock at Islander RV. We went with them for $1 tacos for dinner. Excellent! This was also the day that our youngest son, Aaron, left on his 4 1/2 month adventure to points south - starting in Mexico City and visiting about 10 different countries, leaving Lima Peru on April 8 next year. Not sure where he got the travelling bug!

Thursday was American Thanksgiving. The park provided turkey, ham, gravy and mashed potatoes. There were probably about 50 guests who provided all the trimmings. So stuffed! We sat with Ken and Betty from Maine/Florida and Tom and Eileen from Texada Island. On Friday the 28th we wandered down to London Bridge. There were no tours available that fit the days we were here. On the way back to the resort, while sitting at a stop light, we looked over and saw people beside us that we knew from Swan Lake - Doug and Jeanne who rent in the resort. Turns out they were staying at the park right beside us so we got together for a Happy Hour. On Sunday our long-time friends Harry and Pam drove over from Needles, CA. We wandered around the Sunday market for a while. Larry was talking to Harry about our friend Doug from White Rock when a person behind them tapped him on the shoulder and said, "I know Doug!" Turns out they were having lunch with Doug and Linda that day and in fact their sons played hockey with Aaron a number of years ago. Small world (or, you never know who's listening)! We then went to In-n-Out for lunch.

Sunday was also Grey Cup. Doug and Linda came over to watch the game and we had a few appies, including some Canadian pepperoni sticks we had brought down with us. The game wasn't that exciting because BC wasn't in it but we had fun anyway. They also brought their new little puppy Barley, who is very well-behaved. Since Monday was our last day in Havasu, Doug and Linda invited us over for a steak dinner. Excellent steak dinner!

We left Havasu about 10 am AZ time Tuesday the 10th, arriving in Las Vegas about 12:30. We're back to Pacific Time now for a while. In the early afternoon Maureen was surprised with an e-mail from Dan (with whom she used to work in White Rock and who we had seen in Vernon this summer). They are 9 sites up from us! Unfortunately they have both been battling colds so we won't be able to visit with them this time. They have been stuck here longer than they had planned with coach repairs. The skies were cloudy which we hadn't seen in a while and soon it started to rain.

Wednesday we drove to the Strip and wandered through MGM and New York York, looking for Keno - couldn't find any! We also thought we would like a coffee - it would be $15 at Starbucks for two coffees and two coffee cakes. We went down to the south end of the Strip to Dunkin Donuts and had two coffees and two donuts for $7. Much better!

Thursday we went into the Strip again and wandered through The Linq and Harrah's. The Ling used to be the Imperial Palace which we stayed at many times years ago. They are still not completed the major renovation. If you look, you can still see parts of the old Palace, including the parking garage. We found a Keno bar still in Harrahs and played there for a while, winning a little. They have built a nice promenade down the side of the building, incorporating O'Sheas and Harrah's. While we were walking down there, we heard there would be a few NASCAR drivers doing a Victory Lap down the Strip so we hustled back there and found a space at the railing. They briefly closed the Strip to traffic and about 8 drivers roared down the road. While we were standing there we noticed a man who was wearing a Peggy's Cove Nova Scotia hat. That got us to talking with him. He lives in Vegas and has been to Canada several times. He is also a drag race fan so we chatted with him about that. As we were leaving he shook Larry's hand and said, "I've never met a Canadian I didn't like." Cool!

Friday night we had tickets to Burton Cummings at The Orleans. We had dinner first at Koji Japanese Restaurant at The Orleans - amazing sushi - especially the Lasagna Roll. Burton put on an amazing concert nearly 2 hours long. There were lots of Canadians in the audience. While we were at the concert we played two games of Keno for 20 times for a dollar a play. When the concert was over Larry went back to the Keno bar to check the tickets and we won $169.00

Saturday we met Neil and Millie for lunch (we had visited with them in Edmonton, we know them from Pacific Border RV in Surrey). While we were waiting for them in the main lobby at Caesars, Dale and Jeanne from Swan Lake found us! We had a nice chat with them and will see them in January near Phoenix. We went on for lunch at The Cheesecake Factory. It was excellent and less expensive than most of the other restaurants at Caesars.

Sunday we drove into the city - we had a room booked at The Palazzo for two nights - Larry had the TravelOnly 40th Anniversary Conference to attend. Maureen did a lot of wandering of shops - til her feet really hurt. It was definitely something different. Distances are so vast there and the malls are huge. We had a beautiful room and an equally gorgeous view. On Monday Larry was at the conference at 8 am for breakfast and he came back to the room at 4:30 to dress for dinner - which wasn't until 8 - Maureen was allowed to go to this as well. While killing time at one of the Venetian bars (we had a 2 for 1 drink coupon), a guy beside us found $500 lying on the floor beside Larry's scooter. We asked the bartender about it and he said "Lucky you!" so we split it with the guy beside us. So even though we hardly gamble, we still won!

Tuesday morning we were back down at the coach by 9 am and arrived in Long Beach by 3:30, almost avoiding rush hour. The little Golden Shore RV Resort is quite lovely, right on the shore. There is a nice bike/walking path. We did a test run to San Pedro Pier where we will e boarding the cruise ship on Saturday and it only took 10 minutes. We did some other exploring of the area. It's very crowded and some areas are not so nice. The Port itself is huge with large bridges spanning parts of it. We drove up the mountain above San Pedro and it was quite a view.

Meanwhile Aaron is doing quite well on his trip. He lost his bank card the second day and is waiting for that to be sent to him when he settles in one place for a while. He's taking Spanish lessons also.

During the night on the 11th, the Pineapple Express dumped a lot of rain on us. It didn't last long but was very intense. There was wind also. It's supposed to clear on Saturday in time for our cruise!

We wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! We will be in Yuma for Christmas and New Year's.

Entry Rating:     Why ratings?
Please Rate:  
Thank you for voting!
Share |