Hakuna Matata travel blog








I booked the township tour for the next morning. I was the only one on tour. The guide took up to a purer part of the township. There we started the tour. He took me to the high school, the kindergarten, through the township to the Rastafarian village and than to a local pub for a beer. The tour was very interesting. I learned a lot about township life and met some of the people.

On our way he dropped me off where Sister Kerri of the Rastafarians worked and I arranged a homestay for that night. I spend the rest of the afternoon around Knyzna and the Thesen Island. The City was very posh and nice but not really my thing.

I was back at the hostel at 5pm as I was going to be picked up by Sghakati the son of Sister Kerri between 5 and 6pm. He came just after 5 with a friend of his to pick me up.

We went down to the taxi rank where Shakati had his market stall. He still had to pack up for the night. I asked if I could help. But they said no. So I just set there and watched. They had an interesting way of organizing their boxes.

Than we drove off towards the township. When we got there Sister Kerri was still not there. Some friends of Shakati stopped by. I was shown where I was going to sleep. The room was like a little dorm with 4 beds. I was a bit disappointed as I thought it was real home stay. But as I was the only one staying it was alright.

I spent the next few hours with Shakati and his friends in his room talking and listening to music. At around 9pm Kerri came back home. I spent the rest of the evening sitting with her, drinking tea and listening to her life story. Kerry was probably the most interesting person that I have met on this trip so far. She was Australian, coming from a farm growing up with 3 brothers and 1 sister. She told me about her many years of traveling around the world, living in the UK, Barbados, Jamaica, Malawi, and South Africa. About how she met Shakatis father and about the problems the have living in the Township and about her dream of a quiet life working for the community.

She also told me that there was a morning binghi (Rastafarian prayer) going on in the Synagogue from 6 to 7am. I decided that I wanted to go and asked her to wake me up.

The next morning she woke me up before she went to work and I went to the morning binghi. She told me I could stay as long as I liked.

Binghi was really interesting. There were not many people there this morning. They were chanting and dancing for an hour. After binghi I went back to bed and slept a little longer. When I got up I had a cup of tea and than went to the kindergarten, and played with the kids for a couple of hours. These kids were really nice and I had a great time with them.

When they went for lunch I went back to Kerri’s house, where one of Shakati’s friends was already waiting for me. He asked what I was planning to do and I told him that I didn’t have any plans so far. He decided to take me to a couple of places in the village.

At around 1pm it was time for me to say good bye. I took a minibus back to Knysna and some lunch at the Waterfront. Than I went back to the hostel and got my stuff organized.

The Baz Bus picked me up around 5pm and off we went towards P.E. Tal got back on the bus in Jay Bay and after uneventful drive I we arrived in P.E. There I Organized my trip further to Coffee Bay and than hit the sack.

Entry Rating:     Why ratings?
Please Rate:  
Thank you for voting!
Share |