C & C's Adventures travel blog

San Juan Bautista Mission

San Juan Bautista Mission

San Juan Bautista Mission

San Juan Bautista Mission

Garden Flowers

Garden Flower

Garden Flower

Strawberry Picking

Strawberry Picking

Raspberries

Raspberries

Raspberries

Bees on Apple Peels

Brussel Sprouts

Brussel Sprouts

Roma Tomatoes

Swiss Chard

Cabbage

Lettuce

Lettuce

Artichoke

Artichoke

Beach

Shore Birds

Beach

Castroville


Yesterday was a work day for us. Carolyn worked on banking and paperwork and I washed the outside of the 5th wheel, including the roof. It was a great day for it. It was about 65 out and cloudy. It was after lunch by the time I got done and it was relaxing the rest of the day. That is one project that is nice to be done. I didn’t plan on doing the roof, but I didn’t know if I would be able to wash it when we got settled into our campground in Mesa.

We are exploring the area today. Our first stop is The San Juan Bautista Mission. It was established June 24 and is the longest active mission in California. At one time the kitchen was serving 1200 meals 3 times a day. Only about half of it is still standing. The side walls fell in the earthquake of 1906 and were restored in 1976. They still have daily mass. Alfred Hitchcock’s classic movie, Vertigo, was filmed on the mission grounds in October 1957.

We drove to Gilroy to purchase our tickets for The Monterey Aquarium. AAA had them for 10 percent off. We drove up and over a pass going towards Watsonville. Along the way, we stopped at one of the wineries for a wine tasting. I got to taste 5 or 6 different wines of theirs for $5, but didn’t like any of them. As we drove through the pass, we were surrounded by trees overhanging the road. It was very pretty and we were surprised it looked like that as the surrounding country is mostly fields with scattered trees in them.

As we crested the pass, we could look at the valley down below. It was covered with fields of crops and we could see some fields with plastic spread over them to protect the plants. We found out later, they cover the raspberries because when the October rains start, it ruins the crop. It works the same way with the blueberries. The rain normally starts in late October and that is the end of the berry season.

We stopped at Gizdich Ranch. They have apple trees, strawberries and mixed produce. We split a piece of Apple pie and ice cream. It was delicious. They must have had 20 different kinds of pies. They also had their apples for sale. About 6-10 different ones. Some we had never heard of. You could pick your own strawberries so we headed out to the field to help ourselves. The strawberries grow all season and they go through and pick then periodically. Carolyn picked strawberries while I took pictures of the other produce they had growing. We went back to weigh our strawberries and ended up buying some local made jelly.

The lady helping us recommended we go to Driscoll berry store. We drove through all this farm ground and all the fields had something different growing in them. We took pictures of a lot of them. Carolyn said this area is called The Salad Bowl. You can sure see why. The gal at Driscoll told us they develop and start the raspberry plants up north in colder weather. They give them to the farmer to plant each year and the farmer gets 70% of the profit and Driscoll keeps the other 30%. The raspberries are grown from scratch each year. We saw farm trucks bringing in the day’s harvest and saw the semis hauling them away. It is all very interesting to us.

We headed to Moss landing making all kinds of stops to look at the different crops and take pictures. When we got to Highway 1, it was rush hour. We couldn’t believe the traffic. We made a stop at the ocean and walked down just before sunset. We watched the shore birds for a little while before heading to dinner. We had a recommendation to eat at The Whole Enchilada. After dinner, we stopped at the 24 hour fruit and produce stand. It was huge and had everything. It was interesting just walking through looking at all the different things to eat. We got some grapes, nectarines and dates before heading home and getting there about 8:00. It was a long day, but we had a great time seeing all the different crops and how they are handled. Carolyn said she would like to take a half day for each crop and see how it was all done from start to finish. Maybe some day.



Advertisement
OperationEyesight.com
Entry Rating:     Why ratings?
Please Rate:  
Thank you for voting!
Share |