Seamus trip to Rugby World Cup travel blog

Last day in New Zealand.

Early breakfast, said good bye to those who were heading for Australia. Some of our friends were a bit rough this morning, too much singing.

Mary Coffey picked us from the hotel and we went in Te Papa Museum for a few hours, then back to the hotel.

We were collected for our flight home at 5.30pm, long journey ahead. Easily known Max wasn't around as I had a bit of a hobble before I secured a wheelchair at Wellington Airport.

Our flight from Wellington did not take off until 8.30pm and what a bumpy ride that was, arrived in Auckland 9.30pm.

The rain was lashing outside we had to transfer to the Auckland International Airport, not unlike Bus Eireann waiting for the bus, it eventually came.

The driver was very helpful to Moya and the usual gang helped her with the transportation of the bags into the building.

First thing to greet us was a notice that our flight was an hour late and we would be taking off at 4.30 am !!!!!.

Check in would not commence until 11.00 pm ish. The rest of the gang were heading upstairs and we followed not a unanimous decision but we followed.

We had no sooner landed on the top floor and we were in the middle of a full scale evacuation. I was parked in a corner with Moya while everbody else was removed from the building except for the fire marshall's. There was automatic continuous announcement asking people to leave the building, which after 30 minutes was quite annoying, various firemen passed us with all sorts of fire fighting equipment. A hand dryer in the ladies toilet was faulty and the ladies toilet was full of smoke.

Eventually everybody was allowed to return, we made our way to the check in desk, got our paperwork sorted and headed for food and liquid refreshments.

One thing I have learned in the last few weeks that the Ryanair system of no pre arranged seats is probably the best arrangements, as every time I get my seat ticket I am always in the most awkward position re toilets, usually in the back of the plane, to change me to a more convenient position is impossible and Moya is in the other end of the plane. I could write a PhD Thesis on seating arrangements on aircraft.

Auckland International Airport is a new building and to say it is not wheelchair friendly is an understatement. My encounters with the various buildings in New Zealand will be work for another day.

We all had various shut eye before our plane eventually took off around the 5am.We were now retracing our flight path back to Europe, over the Tasman sea, across Australia, I will not forget where Darwin is and we finally arrived in Brunei

I did sleep for a least the first two hours of the journey before we had a light snack. I was following the planes journey on the video screen in front of me.

The temperature was 26*C at 9am in the morning in Brunei, to those of you who love the heat you are most welcome to it.

We were staying in the capital of this very rich country for ten hours, we were booked into a local hotel, time to catch up on sleep and the necessary wash.

When I alighted from the bus, one of lads had a wheelchair waiting for me to plonk my rear end in, we had become very efficient in these last four weeks, I am been constantly asked am I OK, there will have to be a wheelchair party when I finally get on my feet.

A very efficient lady in the hotel sorted out our paper work, we were heading for a much needed sleep, only problem we received a phone call requesting the use of the wheelchair for a staff member who had to go to hospital but it was soon returned.

Entry Rating:     Why ratings?
Please Rate:  
Thank you for voting!
Share |