It is amazing how fast 10 weeks passes! It is now time to depart SE Asia, but before we go, some closing thoughts:
The best food - Little India in Singapore. Runner up - anything Thai.
The biggest surprise - how (relatively) prosperous Malaysia is.
The least surprising - how wonderful people are everywhere you travel in SE Asia.
What we will miss - having a wonderful dinner for two for $6.
What we won't miss - the heat and humidity.
What we won't miss, part two - white rice.
What we will always wonder - how can anyone earn enough money to live pushing a cart selling a cup of home made ice cream for 10 baht (30 cents)?
What we will forever appreciate more - sidewalks.
What we look forward to - not needing air conditioning
Jill's what's-so-great-about-S.E.A., The Greater Mekong Region
- The food, food, glorious food
- Calm and peacefulness of buddisum
- Friendly smiles
- Fresh vegetables (Eggplant squash), savory spices (red bird chillies and tiny fresh green pepper), bright herbs (kaffir limes, lemongrass, tamarind leaf)
- Beautiful accomodation for nothing
- Traditional intricate clothing of the many different mountain tribes
- Interesting and extensive ex-pat presence
- Unhurried pace of life
- How technologically advanced it is for being a developing region
- Daily rituals
- How people can make protests seem like happy celebrations