Our trip to Newfoundland 2009 travel blog

Well I finally got on the computer and its my last full day here in NFLD. The weather the past few days has been beautiful and warm.


We left Rocky Harbour and went to see the Tablelands in the south part of Gros Morne. Talk about a contradiction in landscape it was like a mountainous desert on one side of the highway and green with vegetation on the other. After that we headed to Cormack to stay for the night just outside of Deer Lake. We drove to Big Falls and saw the salmon jumping up the falls, that was really neat.


The next morning I took Dave to the airport and he was off to Toronto. Mum, Dad and I went to the Insectarium which was also pretty amazing with the butterfly nursery and an area where they just fly around you. And were not talking Canadian butterflies. (I can't attach pictures today, maybe tomorrow when I get home) They also had a honey bee hive which you could see inside the hive and all the bees working as there was also a little tunnel where they could come and go outside. They had also many other insects in displays both live and dead. We had a couple walking sticks crawl on us. After that we headed to Corner Brook, we drove along the coast and the Bay of Islands to Bottle Cove which is on the outer coast. When we headed back we found a great place to stay for the next two nights.


We headed down to Stephenville and toured the Port au Port Peninsula. We made several stops along the way but the most amazing was Boutte de Cap Park, the outer tip and a good place to watch for whales. Mum actually saw a Minke whale. The Shoreline was nothing less than amazing, the cliffs were...there aren't words and the pictures probably won't do it justice but I will send them along tomorrow anyway.

This was also Mum and Dad's 50th Wedding Anniversary.

We had a great day and of course the weather was perfect.


We left Corner Brook and made a few stops along the way. We had lunch together in Deer Lake on the beach and then took my luggage up to the B&B where I would stay the night but couldn't check in for a few more hours. We said our good byes and shed a few tears. We had a wonderful time together and saw many amazing things.

Mum and Dad headed down to Port aux Basques where they will stay the night and catch the ferry in the morning. Apparently the area down there is very different as the mountains are even bigger and more rugged than what we had seen.

I will catch my flight tomorrow morning from Deer Lake and will be back in Kenora by lunch.

Well this has been great and I will send pictures hopefully tomorrow.

I have heard back from most of you that you've really enjoyed this also.

Thanks for being part of our journey.

Laureen, Marilyn, Watt and Dave.

Entry Rating:     Why ratings?
Please Rate:  
Thank you for voting!
Share |