Katie's Live and Unleashed 05/06 Worldwide Tour travel blog

Torres del Paine National Park

Iceburgs from Grey's Glacier

Heidi and Shaun watching Grey's Glacier

Janine and I infront of Lago Grey

Grey's Glacier at dusk

Chilian engineering!

Prickly Heath, Gush

Lago Grey looking south

Lago Pehoe and our walk home

Co. Fortaleza, Ventisquero Torres & Almirante Nieto (mountains)

Our lodge overlooking Lake Pehoe

Along Valle del Frances

Lunch stop by Camping Italiano

Lunchtime view

Sight at end of Valle del Frances

Alison, me, Jock & Paul infront of Lago Nordenskjold

Changing landscape

Trees killed by fungus

Blue waters of Lago Nordenskjold

Typical clothing for the cold nights - and this was inside!!

Walking, walking, walking was the agenda for our 3 days here. Day 1 9 of us took a ferry over Lake Pehoe, the first of which did not even leave until midday. That afternoon was a very pleasant walk along the shore of Grey's lake to view the glacier. Unfortunately we had to return along the same route as we went out on, but it was flat enough with beautiful scenery and dramatic light. Due to the excessive cost of the ferry and inconvenient timetable we stayed over that night so that on day 2 we could complete a full day's walk. Four "nutters" decided to camp, but I am extremely pleased to have stayed in the beautiful brand new lodge. We spent the evening eating, drinking wine and playing cards next to the log fire, while a freezing storm went on outside!

Day 2 was a walk up Frances Valley to see the dramatic rock faces at the top. Ascending the hill we could see for miles and the water of the lake below was so blue and beautiful. At the top (top for us) we landscape varied from bare rock, to lush green forest, straight to dead trees - very strange.

On return to the rest of the group at the campsite we had a full lamb roast (veggie for evening then!). That night Tony, our driver, was very sick and by the following afternoon he was making his way to hospital where the Doctor diagnosed that he was ill because he ate lamb and combined it with drinking beer!! Even us non-medical people knew it was likely to have sometime to do with complications with his diabetes. The next day he traveled via helicopter to another hospital. Due to bad weather and sore feet on day 3 Lynne and I headed up to the nearby 5 star hotel for coffee and to heat up after a night of very little sleep as a result of the extreme cold! We sat with a beautiful view, in the warm and read my book.

Day 4 we obviously couldn't move anywhere without Tony so hung around until Diana sorted for us to charter a bus to drive us through to Ushuaia without them. Arrived there with no delay having caught the first ferry of the morning after 2 hours sleep in a hostel.

Entry Rating:     Why ratings?
Please Rate:  
Thank you for voting!
Share |