|For Christmas this year we decided to escape from the hustle and bustle of life in Accra and head West to spend Christmas on the beach, a first for both of us. We stayed in a resort called Safari Beach Lodge and it was absolutely idyllic, a real treat for us both. Our accommodation was a hut on the beach that had a 4 poster bed in and lying on the bed with the doors open was a spectacular view to the sea. The food there was some of the best we’ve ever eaten, cooked by a French chef. On Christmas Eve we had a wonderful meal of seasoned lamb and we were accompanied by a gospel choir who really helped to make the atmosphere special. On Christmas Day we chilled out, having a delicious breakfast in our room, playing in the waves and walking along the beach to try and find some signal to phone family back home. We had an absolutely fantastic time and would recommend a warm Christmas to anyone! Sorry to those of you we were unable to speak to, we hope you all had a very merry Christmas!
On 27th we started our journey back to Accra and stopped off for a couple of days in Cape Coast to do the canopy walk at Kakum National Park, the most extensive rainforest habitat in Ghana. The canopy walk itself is a 350m long, 40m high wood and rope walkway suspended between trees above the rainforest. Even though it was quite nerve wracking being so high up supported only by ropes, the views were breathtaking and it was amazing to be so high up in a rainforest, a first for both of us! Afterwards, we went on an hour’s nature walk through the rainforest with a very informative guide and saw lots of butterflies, birds and… well, trees.
We headed back to Accra on 29th and were shocked to discover that whilst we had been away, a water pipe had sheared away and the flat had completely flooded. The leak started in our bathroom and had reached chest height. The water was seeping out under the door and flooded the rest of the flat to a height of 10 cm. It started leaking to the two flats downstairs and they raised the alarm. The water was turned off and they broke into the flat to let all the water out. VSO had told us there was a leak while we were travelling home. We were imagining a leaky tap, not a full blown flood so it was a bit of a shock. We spent the next few days mopping and cleaning up the mess that had been left behind. This was hard as not only were we doing this in the baking heat but the water had to be turned off at the mains so we couldn’t just turn on a tap and wash away the dirt. The bottom sections of most of the furniture, some books and Richard’s schoolwork got wet and our walkman, binoculars and PSP are now not working which is a real shame, but we are lucky as the situation could have been a lot worse. It was very unfortunate that it happened over the holidays when noone was in.
Despite the disastrous end, we had a wonderful relaxing break and couldn’t have asked for a better Ghanaian Christmas.
Happy 2009 to you all!