We heard from Tyler, another camper, that there was a whole lot of this area that we would be missing if we didn't get back into it, so today we did just that.
Our friends Jim and Cheryl joined us in our search of the outbacks and what a great day we had!!
I would say that we drove some 90 to 100 miles much of it on dirt roads winding our way thru country that most people that visit this area never see. This is exactly what Nancy and I love to do. We have found so very many wonderful places doing this kind of exploring. We had a general plan, but whenever we saw something interesting we took off on side trips to find out what was around the next corner. Doing this we found a magnificent place to boondock maybe a 1/2 mile off the main road. The access road is adequate to drive the Dutch Star on and Nancy and I might just stay there for a couple of nights.
We are finding the Rt 145 corridor to be so interesting that we keep extending our stay in the area. We have now found 4 great National Forest campgrounds that will easily handle the Dutch Star, some of them with electric, some with full hookups, and some with no hookups, not to mention the boondocking sight mentioned above. The more we see of the area the longer we want to stay. Our original plan was to spend a limited amount of time in the area because the private campgrounds are so expensive, but now that we've found all of these wonderful National Forest campgrounds we're inclined to stay awhile. Full hookup campsites for $18, electric sites for $12, and boondocking sites for $7.50. We can live with that for quite a while. We are really enjoying our stay here at Delores River RV Park but $31.50 per nite adds up pretty quickly, especially after the money that we had to spend in repairs on the Dutch Star in Gallup and Albuquerque.
Eventually we'll make it around to the Ouray, Silverton area on Rt 550, but right now we're in no hurry to get there. We have reservations at the KOA near Ouray August 10th and 11th at $38 + tax per nite. This will allow us to explore the area trying to find National Forest campgrounds or boondocking areas that can handle the Dutch Star. If we are successful we'll stay in that area for quite a while also, maybe for the rest of the summer. If not we'll move on to the Gunnison/Crested Butte area. We can't and won't spend $38 + per nite for any extended period of time.
The weather has been very pleasant with occasional afternoon thunderstorms. We are currently at about 7000 ft elevation, but will likely be camping at much higher elevations as we move north along Rt 145 which will mean much cooler weather and probably more intense afternoon thunderstorms. Can't wait as both Nancy and I love big storms.