We really wanted to finish this trek by returning to California on Highway 50 (at least the last stretch). But the weather made us alter our course. Based on the latest weather reports, we made the right decision.
If we took the Highway 50 route, we would have to go through Ely, NV. That whole area had snow the entire day.
An alternative route for us would have been to go south through Las Vegas. Getting there would have required us to go through St. George and near Zion National Park. Guess what, they had more snow than predicted. After getting through that, we would have to drive through Tehachapi. The day we would have to drive through Tehachapi, it was predicted the winds would be 25 to 35 mph.
We decided to take Highway 80. The weather reports for that route was only showers. So far they've been correct.
A little bonus, taking Highway 80 gave Julie some nostalgic moments. Her family travelled to the Salt Lake City area a few times to visit her grandmother and other relatives. She also remembers stopping by Wendover Will. He is the tall neon statue that welcomes you into West Wendover, NV.
Tomorrow we're supposed to get showers on our way to Reno. The next day Truckee is supposed to get snow overnight turning to rain mid-Wednesday morning.
If that's how it goes, we hope to sneak through that little window and be home Wednesday afternoon.